View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 19:47   Link #20
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A serious fight is a serious fight, regardless of the "boundaries" set by the show which includes it. It thus can be compared to equally serious fights in other shows.

[...]

I'm honestly at a lost to understand why this particular comparison seems to bother you so much. If fanservice in a serious fight scene doesn't bother you then why would you be bothered by fanservice in a Saber fight in Fate/Zero?
I honestly don't understand the way your brain works if you're making this argument. I don't mean that as some sort of a slight, but I just don't understand it. I can only try to help you understand the way I see it myself so at least you can see where some people are coming from, even if you don't see it that way yourself.

When I see a "serious fight", I always consider it in the context of the work in which its presented. My brain doesn't suddenly switch to "serious fight mode" and start comparing it to other serious fights in other unrelated shows. All "serious fights" may be "serious fights", but the universe in which the show is occurring changes my expectations and thus my reactions. This isn't reality after all; each fictional world is different and has its own standards, rules, and expectations.

Fate/Zero is a very dark, serious show pretty much from end-to-end. It has its mood, its sense of direction, and its own style. To do something that is inconsistent with its own established style would be jarring, and unlikely to be well-received by the audience who was expecting something else. But this is a bright and colourful show focused on cute heroines, and it established that fanservice is an element of the show throughout. So once we understand that this is just part of its style, even in "serious fights", then it ceases to be jarring within its own established framework. This is just like how a franchise like Muv-Luv is laden with serious action and bloodshed, but its heroines are clad in extremely revealing battle attire the whole time. There are fights that are absolutely "serious" and deadly, but the outfits could also be seen as a sort of constant fanservice. To some people, I suppose that would break their suspension of disbelief and cause them to not take the "serious fights" as seriously. But it doesn't have to be that way for everyone.

The comparison is not invalid, but to me its value is severely limited. Not least of which is because two shows with such different moods, approaches, and styles are unlikely to result in the very same set of expectations. You have a very specific personal set of expectations that apply to all serious fighting scenes regardless of the show... but that isn't the way it has to be.