View Single Post
Old 2011-07-16, 03:38   Link #472
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The only question isn't if the Princess is the enemy, but if there is an even worse enemy than her that the brothers had to worry about.

Because I once thought that Ringo might have a chance of being an ally. But now... I am not so sure.
She's threatening them so blatantly that it seems unlikely they'll be allies. Heck, she hasn't even offered her name yet. Then again, we have almost no context for determining what's going on or what the show is about yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Hmm, I remember reading somewhere that they're called WH, which can be pronounced pretty similar to Double-H, so which is correct? Is there an official name somewhere?
It's WH, but Himari pronounces it "Double H".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
Another question: this week's Survival Strategy meeting doesn't include the last scene where Himari takes sth out of Kan's chest, so does that mean it didn't happen? Or they just didn't show us?
It's possible that she already got what she needed from Kanba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You're not the only one that cheered . Ikuhara sure does love his flower frames, so it was a nice return to see them again. We've been getting a lot of early Utena camera work since the first episode, so it's only right that he starts to use some of his other trademarks.
Well, he seemed to be moving away from a lot of Utena's themes and art design, so I thought that he might drop the roses as well. Guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Spoiler for ep 1:
If the brothers are supposed to be WH, then that means that they'd be tossing themselves in the trash. That doesn't seem like a very elegant interpretation to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Spoiler for Episode 2:
If the brothers are fine with breaking less important laws, are they then also willing to break more serious ones? It's possible the the whole excursion is a lie and that the Penguin hat is only using it to gain greater power over the brothers.

Quote:
I thought that this episode was great, not as awe inspiring as the first, but I still glued to the screen, and is still wanting to rewatch it again.
Really? Not saying this show isn't fun to watch and has great humor, but I wouldn't say it's the funniest this year.
Humor works differently for different people, and I happen to find most anime humor unfunny. Episode 2 really was the funniest anime for me this year. Albeit I haven't tried watching very many comedies either, but most of them have left me cold anyways.

Quote:
Spoiler for :
At some point, they're going to have to spill the beans to Himari, and that episode is going to be fun to watch. Shouma is less useful than Kanba in stalking Ringo, but without him, who knows how far Kanba would have gone?

Quote:
That being said, I don't think mess would be an accurate way to describe it, since the show clearly had much thought gone into making it. In these two episodes, I don't think I've seen it more made out of things that look cool for the sake of looking cool as much as being carefully placed an made (to look meaningful and cool)
There's certainly a strong sense of purpose imported to just about all the elements in Penguindrum - from the music to the sound design to the writing to the plot and so forth. Given the attention to detail, I don't think there's anything in the show that isn't there for a specific reason.

Quote:
My favorite part of the episode

Kanba's penguin through and through. Spread girl legs open and stares at their panties without flinching
My favorite was simply the reveal of what Kanba intended to do with the tape. It's classic Ikuhara misdirection: imply something, and then subvert it with something else that works even better. Just a wonderful piece of direction.

The only thing that I'm fairly certain of in Penguindrum right now is that the overall plot is going to be relatively unimportant. Instead, the show is going to mostly be about the themes and the character stories. Outside of that, I really have no clue what's going to happen next. Heck, I'm not sure what genre the show is in: Mystery? Fantasy? Comedy? Science Fiction? Anybody have any ideas?