View Single Post
Old 2011-09-02, 22:01   Link #1078
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
....I mean the whole thing lately is about Ringo, her character, and relevance to the lot. Someone that has massive issues with Ringo is gonna not be as excited. Personally, I think the show does a great job of showing her insanity, and her effect on the leads.
To contribute a little (and possibly tangentially) to the discussion at hand ... to be honest I am one of those people who does have "massive issues with Ringo".... And it actually did make me drop the show as of last episode. I will probably pick the show up again later on after the season is over at some time, but to be honest I just could not stomach the frequent, outright cruelty she showed towards the younger brother.

Yes, as she was depicted up to ep. 7 she was obviously a psychologically damaged kid, and yes I felt pretty sorry for her. But that is one thing - the content % wise that the show seemed to give to showing how outright nasty she was (apart from the story) actually "jolted me out of the series" itself repeatedly and was a big turn off ... actually I think I was complaining about it the past few episodes most every time I posted about them.

The wacky, intricate symbolism and talented animation "camera angles" or style and the rest to the series are all good and nice, I guess. But for me they were not "strong enough" to counterbalance the intensity of disliking being shown the scenes of nastiness on Ringo's part.

But to be fair I think I am personally a little "sensitive" to the "young women beating up on/abusing young men doubling as doormats" thing - I already disliked it before watching the series. So I don't know if you could really use my individual example as indicative of any "bigger trend" or what not. Many people seem to be enjoying the portrayal of Ringo as accurate (as Archong Wing mentioned above) and even engaging, and are not "disturbed" by the abusive scenes to the degree I was.

Again - I will prolly pick up the series after it is all "said and done" at a later date when I have the time and inclination....