View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 04:55   Link #64
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
IMHO it does... moe sells as ecchi does..... But I loved Ghibli you know... I missed their movies.... Probably the kids back then are after the mature stuffs.... and knwoing they enjoyed such shows in the past creeps them out now... LOLSss
My statement is close enough to fact there, actually. It's not so much a matter of individual opinion as a matter of commonly accepted, if not completely provable, knowledge.

Namely, that Ghibli segregates itself from the anime subculture and creates family-friendly [keyword: family], widely popular works the way Disney does in the United States. Saying you like a Ghibli film is like saying you like a Disney film -- you can talk about it with your coworkers and nobody bats an eye (unless you're being obsessive about it). You can't do that with Madoka Magica or whatever without some social risks. People who go to watch Ghibli films in movie theaters include a very wide range of the Japanese population, some of which will never touch anime as we know it.

It's a different audience, different "phenomenon."
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote