View Single Post
Old 2012-01-31, 05:37   Link #218
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Halfway at its earliest? I don't think I watch the same things as you.

And yeah, he has a lot of potential for character development. But they seem to be taking a while to do anything with it, is the thing.
Now correct me if I'm interpreting your words wrong, but does that mean you consider change that happens as character establishment (like Nanoha changing from a normal girl to a magical girl in the first few episodes) development? Because in that case, Thoma's got plenty.

He went from a regular boy who knows a little magic to a boy who became an eclipse infected, we learned that he has a rather troubled past which he still carries with him (flashbacks are development too, after all) following which his infection took hold and he learned what it was like to hold great power without control, which gave him the drive to master his powers so he would never harm those close to him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
There's inevitably going to be a higher expectation on a character that has all this foundation set up. So while we should have been patient with this franchise in 2005-- in 2012, it's only reasonable that the pace picks up. The new guys have to prove themselves to be interesting faster or they get overshadowed. Subaru and Teana had to work hard given what they had, for example, and what happened in the end is pretty subjective, but eh, it was problematic I would say.
I know, it's all subjective, but it still feels unfair critisism though. Nanoha didn't develop in A's either but nobody bat an eyelash. Teana and Subaru had to work for their place, but they actually had the chance to do so. StrikerS is over and they got their development. Thoma's getting hammered before he's even given a chance to finish. He (and most of the cast in Force, really) is being treated like a character who's series is already finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
Exactly, like i've said both mangas are controversal on their own way but for some reason i find that ViVid's detractors are a bit less agressive than Force's ones xD.
Methinks that most of the Vivid detractors have taken to the "enjoying it despite the flaws" aproach.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-01-31 at 14:57.