Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-04, 23:12   Link #2058
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
Really, just allow people to learn by themselves, and if neccessary get appropriate help.
I am a law student and I want to express my point of view since it's a common topics between teacher and students here.

Two reasons among some of why many people don't put alcohol, cigarettes and drugs (even marijuana) in the same bag?

- Because a cigarette has not some of the very bad instant effects that the drugs have or "can" have on a "certain" number of people (including majiuana. Examples for the majuana: modification of the immediate memory. False perception of time. All of that during the time when the effect of the drugs is in use, and sometimes even after that. I don't even talk about the bad effects of cocaine). The problem is not only to try to protect the people and their own body, it's also to prevent said people to do bad things to other persons while under the effects of drugs. I did see myself in highschool and in college how far it can go (people who don't remember what they did during the last night for instance. The problem? They could have harmed someone else, and they don't even remember)

- Because alcohol is not only for people who wants to become drunk. If a normal adult drinks one little glass of wine or beer, he/she will likely not be drunk and not have any immediate bad effect on his/her senses and behaviors. I can also add, that now in France, it's forbidden to sell alcohol to people under 18. It's not perfect thought, but it's still something that many parents actually appreciated here in France.

It's all about protecting the people. And not only the one who take drugs but also the one who could be harmed because the former are not in their "normal" state when under the effect of drugs even if they take it only once. So No, I disagree with your statement about letting people learn by themselves since there's a risk that they could harm other people by just smoking marijuana once, or taking drugs once. There's still some works to do about alcohol (for example, to not see alcohol as one entity, but to differentiate wine and vodka, for instance), I agree, but you can't compare cigarettes and alcohol to drugs just like that.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-04-04 at 23:23.