Thread: Proposal Quote Notifications
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 18:34   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
In general, the idea is interesting, but it feels like more noise. We already have thread subscriptions which basically serve this purpose, but this is like "for times when you don't care about subscribing to the entire conversation, but still want to be notified when someone mentions you in particular..." It's a bit OCD, I think.
I see it a bit differently. This is a potential way to foster discussion, and guard against people who write a random comment and then never revisit a thread (even if people replied to their post).

Consider this: the current forum default for thread subscriptions is no subscriptions. Even if you changed it so that people were auto-subscribed, there are a number of forum users who don't use the control panel for subscription navigation. For some people it's because they're unaware of the functionality; for others, they simply don't care to.

On the other hand, if you enable the quote notification by default, you get the non-intrusive yet noticeable notification that you've been quoted. People who know what they're doing and dislike it can disable it. I'd wager that most users, particularly new users, will accept it and make use of it. It draws them back to the topic, and gets them to re-engage in the conversation.