View Single Post
Old 2012-06-30, 05:11   Link #969
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
If the GOP were to make a clean sweep this election cycle they would have enough votes to make the 51 number they would need to repeal it.

This article explains the GOP strategy pretty well.

The Republican recipe for repeal
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/78002.html
Read the last paragraph. The beauty of this bill when it was passed in 2010 is that it will never go away. All GOP will ever be able to do is to rebrand with their own marking and give it a new name and stop the flow of the money (the budget) to fund this bill. That's it.

The strategy here is pretty obvious for the taking: It's to test the waters to see how much uproar can be rekindled so people will vote for Romney/GOP out of spite for Obama/Democrat. We will see how far this strategy can take GOP. I'll put down my money on not-too-far. I give them about a month before the talking points turn to bigger and better things like the economy, jobs etc.

Quote:
Besides, what the US needs is a medicare/medicaid style program for the poor, not some mandate/tax to buy corporate insurance.
As Vexx said here somewhere buried in this thread, insurance companies should be forced to become non-profit companies that survive off both premiums from those who can afford to pay, and government subsidies for those who cannot pay.
This mandate crap that Roberts has supported is just more corporatist nonsense to force people to buy a product they cannot afford.
Vexx needs to catch up....

Robert's take has pretty much nullified for any such duplicity in the future when he stated that Government cannot mandate people to buy insurance under the Commerce Law. Before this ruling, the danger was that government (Congress) can pretty much create a product and then will force the people to be its consumer. This ruling effectively limits Commerce Law. And then when Robert said that the bill cannot be imposed on the states to expand their program, it pretty much reinforces and strengthen the above notion.

I think we can all agree that this bill has a lot of room for improvement before it wins over the hearts of people. It, however, has opened the door for the idea what Healthcare should be about. Whoever is in power won't be able to close that door. The repeal won't happen. Even if GOP manages to get as close to a repeal to the definiton of that word (which is highly improbable), the idea of "Repeal" will sound as hollow just as when Bush Jr. famously declared "Mission Accomplished."

Sorry, I could not resist.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote