View Single Post
Old 2008-03-07, 00:39   Link #229
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

As a sequel (prequel?) of sorts to The Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya, I'd like to propose a new thread based on a personal project I've wanted to start on for a while now: The Old-Timening of Haruhi Suzumiya. (Yes, I know "old-timening" is not a word. If you can come up with something better, feel free to change it.)

Basically, I was inspired by some seriously old copies of the magazine Shinseinen that I was looking at in order to research contemporary portrayals of the Great Kanto Earthquake, and noticed that Taisho- and early Showa-period magazines contained quite a bit of serialized fiction, both translated from western sources and produced by homegrown talent. (In particular, one issue had a "new" detective story by Edogawa Ranpo, which I found amusing to no end.) With this in mind, I thought, why not take one of the most famous faces in modern youth-oriented (non-manga) fiction, and transplant her into the vibrant literary environment of 1920s Japan? Thus, the idea of The Melancholy of Haruko Mikami was born.

My basic premise for the story in its 1920s-incarnation is as follows:
Spoiler for lengthy premise:

Granted, such a story has to have "historical evidence" to back it up, which is why I also have a quote from a fake social criticism journal of the 1960s which puts it into further "perspective":
Spoiler for quote from fake leftist journal:

Now, I'm not a native Japanese speaker, and my ability to write literary-sounding Japanese is somewhat... shaky at best. In fact, I might be better off trying to write a version in English... but because I find writing with classical Kanji and old-style orthography so fascinating, I went ahead and tried my hand at the opening sentence in Japanese.

Spoiler for opening line:

To do the entire thing in a manner that looks and sounds convincingly like 1920s Japanese popular fiction is probably an entirely too-monumental task for anyone, let alone myself, to take on, but because this idea is driving me up the wall, I thought I might go ahead and post it up here so maybe some other people can have a say in it. So, uhm... thoughts?