View Single Post
Old 2009-09-05, 23:07   Link #1218
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Although for some odd reason, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series by Koei is doing, well, quite well here.

And that game is about as complex as you can expect from the grand strategy genre.

- Tak
Different perceptions of the two series, IMHO, being held by the target audience. I myself see the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" title, and the words "big", "epic", "plot-driven" and etc. come up in my head. "Gundam", OTOH, brings up a more action-packed, rock 'em and sock 'em (and etc.) thought instead. The "Gundam vs Gundam" series should go over really well in the West, IMHO - assuming that they can deal with any of the licensing costs for music and such.

In Japan, gaming-wise, you have different styles of games covering the mecha and characters already. On the home front, "Super Robot Taisen" and "Gundam Battline" cover the strategic and mix-match part, and "GvG" covers the fast-paced action one. On the arcade side, you have the dying "Gundam Card Builder" for the first, and "GvG:N" (now) and "Senjou no Kizuna" for the second. Players are, IMHO, already used to different things through exposure.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote