View Single Post
Old 2010-06-26, 11:07   Link #226
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
>___> Did you seriously just try and to explain bad writing away by saying "It's fiction, it's magic, so it doesn't matter"? I mean...seriously?

Sorry to break it to ya, but even Magic has to make sense to a degree.

Just because I can write a novel about some guy named Joe who suddenly loses an arm and yet can still for no given reason pick up stuff with that missing invisible arm, does not mean I should. Or that a reader should excuse it away by saying "It's alright that it makes no sense, it's magic, its fiction. It's a minor detail."

The difference between good writing and bad writing is all about details. It's about how much effort the author put into the material. When you get plots or events that don't make a lot of sense, it reflects poorly on the creator.

You say that the God plot doesn't matter anymore.... but see, then why did they have it in the story at all? If you introduce a sub-plot and never lead it anywhere, do you know what we call that? A rough draft if were being kind. A poorly executed piece of amateur work if were being more critical.

And another reason the dead plot doesn't work well. Is if all it is is reincarnation, then that means that they lose all the memories. So who cares? It's basically the proverbial "Dream" story.

Do you really care about a story that basically never happened? In truth, the last few seconds are the actual real story since that's what the characters can remember. Why even have a graduation ceremony if your not going to remember it at all? Why do you care about overcoming your issues if your just going to be reborn without them anyway?

It's not compelling fiction and it falls short because of it.

As for the Matrix overseer. What you fail to realize, is that if they aren't going to explain more about it....why should they have even had it in the plot? If it's just some random guy, why even give him that much room in the plot?
Sigh.
They're not zombies. How their bodies work was completely vague from the start. In some way their bodies retain some functions. Without a digestive system their stomachs would burst open after eating daily. What difference does it make how their bodies work, and what purpose will it serve to offer an explanation regarding the technicalities of how Otonashi's heart is beating inside Kanade's body, but is still able to connect to Otonashi? It doesn't make any less sense than the fact that they can experience a true death and fully recover in a few minutes, or make guns out of dirt. Those are the physical laws of that world. Your missing the picture. The author is pointing at the clouds and you're staring at his finger.

God wasn't her enemy. God didn't write down her fate to have her siblings murdered. It was the free will of those murderers, just as she lived her life according to her own will. Tenshi didn't serve god. She was just another human living her life the way she chose. God had no part in Yuri's fate. Yuri was wrong. That's all there is to the god plot, and it's more meaningfull this way than to have and old bearded guy appear in the clouds and Yurippe declaring "Finally I've found you, prepare to die".

The point of that world isn't to give them something to carry over to the next life, but to give them the chance to fulfill their previous life.

You're really stuck on the matrix theory and I get the impression that you're unhappy with the way it ended simply because they didn't take that route. The programmer showed what would happen to Otonashi if he stayed in that world forever waiting for Kanade to return. He showed that you can't cheat the system to obtain eternal happiness for yourself. That was his purpose, and if they hadn't shown it we would all be saying "well why didn't the whole group stay there and be happy forever?"

Quote:
What it shows is that the writers of this show did not properly plan or use their alloted time as wisely as they should have. A lot of scenes were wasted in this show that could have been replaced with more plot heavy material.
Everyone was complaning that the pace was way too fast, and you say it wasn't fast enough. I don't know what to say to this, imo they achieved a pretty good balance of plot and entertainment. Taking out some fanservice to explain everything in black and white would please some and displease others, particularly those who get attached to insignificant characters with a few seconds of screen time and a line or two per episode at best who hardly affect the plot in any way whatsoever.

Quote:
They were reborn huh? Wow...isn't that convenient. What's more... they even look the exact same! Wow... That's pretty convenient too. And whoa...judging by the headphones...they got reborn almost immediately after their deaths. Oh my... I hope their friends and family aren't freaked out by possibly seeing a clone of their dead loved one walking around.
Yes. Convenient indeed. Exactly the same. Indeed convenient. The headphones reveal all. I hope so too.