Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-12, 11:07   Link #276
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
In the 1999 anime, Matthew is clearly in a forest outside of the city when he's attacked. In the manga, you could argue that he could still be in the city when Kurapika hears it. But it still makes Melody's ability less special than it is. I think that it's a welcome change.
I was speaking of the manga which is why I said it wasn't a retcon, because you said Togashi retconned it.

Quote:
Though I've already addressed it, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxaYx6n64J4

The scene being drawn by hand and traced over is in the actual anime. It's being digitally colored, but hand drawn. Digital animation isn't magic--it's drawing using a tablet computer. It's almost the exact same thing, only pencils aren't used. There are hand drawn anime that look better than digital and vice versa.
Digital animation isn't magic but it does make it easier for them to pinpoint mistakes and them. That's why mistakes are to be expected with hand drawn series.

Quote:
But Leorio does fight...his briefcase is literally filled with weapons.
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Exam Spoilers:

And I have no clue what you're talking about when you mention that Leorio never left his patient's side in the 1999 version--he clearly spends half the episode outside of the cabin in order to grab some herbs. Watch it again.
I never said that Leorio was a bad fighter (which is why I said that he doesn't get in the way) just that he later on gets hit with a case of Can't Catch Up, though that was because fighting isn't where his interests lie.
Spoiler for Killua's family arc:

But he was still caring for his patient, which is why I said what i said. Maybe I should have been more specific I mean that he didn't follow Kurapica and Gon.

Quote:
Show me where I'm factually incorrect? If anything, I think that you might need to check your facts. I'm not upset about people comparing the two versions--I've literally done it myself within this thread. But I believe it to be true that nostalgia has a ton to do with people's perceptions with the series. There were fantastic moments in Nippon Animation's version, and there were terrible moments. The problem is that the terrible ones are glossed over or forgotten because of how much they were outshone by most other scenes. Just as you've talked to people who have said the anime series is "one of the best of all time," I'm sure that I've seen just as many who have complained about the slow start and inconsistencies present in the first half of the series. I've been pointing out that it isn't as perfect as people say; despite how good most of the series is, there are some real problems that we tend to overlook as fans. As I've said before, objective view. I'm not going to let how I feel about the 1999 series as a whole affect the comparison I'm doing.
We already talked about this in the previous posts the one you're quoting in the previous pages.

Quote:
If a show is saturated with filler moments to begin with, then of course it becomes difficult to tell the difference between canon and filler moments. And regardless of what you say, the characterization is often wrong in many instances and it potentially does change the nature of future arcs. I've never once said that I've disliked the 1999 version, and numerous times I've mentioned that I think it's great. But keep in mind that it can bring in multiple new audiences--including people who loved the manga but thought that the original series was too slow in the beginning (they exist, believe me).
That's why I said to remember when the 1999 adaptation came out, because the original manga had only been out since March 1998 when it came out with only three volumes worth of material. So the fillers were to be expected, as there wasn't enough material. But usually people are able to tell the difference between a filler episode and a canon event without having read the original manga. However with the first adaptation it was hard for people to do this unless they had read the manga previously (I've said this to you multiple times, and you yourself admitted to not knowing how it was for people like this or not this was true due to the fact that you actually read the manga before you saw the 1999 adaptation).

I'm not knocking on the new adaptation (even though I'm unsure of the script writer, and the director). When did I ever say that people won't enjoy this new adaptation? I only said that people who have seen the 1999 adaptation will always compare it to the 2011 version, and that you shouldn't be upset about people doing it because it is to be expected. I'm not doing it because I don't care either (if its good its good if its not its not).

Quote:
The last sentence you wrote--"Right now Madhouse either has to do better than the 1999 adaptation (which will be hard) or go home. Your gonna have to get over this fact because that's the truth."--isn't true at all. That's just you stating your opinion. Japanese audiences aren't going to go out and buy the DVDs from a show that aired a decade ago, and it wasn't really that well-received when airing either. This show has a shot of really propelling Hunter x Hunter into an international success--especially considering that despite all of Togashi's hiatuses, his volumes sell almost as much as Naruto's do. Instead of already demoting the 2011 version to a lesser status, try to look at it from another perspective.
When did I ever say that they were? When did I ever imply that? Don't ever jump to conclusions. It doing well overseas depends on whether or not Madhouse does a good job. You can't say that I'm not giving the new adaptation a chance when I'm not the one who has been comparing it to the manga or the 1999 adaptation. And even then I'm not so sure that HXH is that unpopular in other countries, because the last time I visited France it was actually above Naruto, but that was in 2006 so I can't speak for certain.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-10-12 at 11:59.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote