View Single Post
Old 2011-12-18, 16:20   Link #52
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, it's been pretty clear for a long time now that Satou has strong feelings for Margery. Margery herself was also aware of it for a long time, but didn't want to reciprocate due to Flame Haze/human divisions. So the foundation for their relationship going this way was firmly set over two full previous seasons.

It makes sense that with the massive trauma that Margery has endured recently that she changed her mind a bit on Satou, particularly since focusing on Satou's love for her helped get her through that ordeal.

So I'm fine with their romance developing pretty quickly. Was it a bit early to take it "all the way"? Maybe, but then they are a supporting cast pairing, and so the narrative likely could only devote so much time to them given the major plot movements underway and coming for the rest of the season. In other words, they probably had to get this romance completely consummated now while there was a plot opening for it, and I was pretty happy with how it was handled. The timing for it couldn't have been better, as it helped to showcase some of the more important 'normal human' characters in this anime, bringing back into focus a welcomed human dimension. It's also the perfect time to bring Margery back into action, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she brings to the big war going on.

Speaking of the big war, it was really great to watch in this episode. The bit before the OP came on really did an astoundingly awesome job of setting just the right mood for what was to come. KugRie did a nice job in delivering Shana's lines very clearly and loudly there, and the whole bit really pumped me up. Shana is one of the precious few anime shows that can get me fired up like great pro wrestling events used to. This episode is no exception here.

The back-and-forth in the struggle between the Flame Hazes and the Tomogara was superbly executed, and it's just so much simple fun to watch. It's incredibly exciting and thrillingly unpredictable, yet still makes sense. Personally, I'm glad that important named characters are actually dying at a fairly consistent pace in this war, because that's what realistically should happen in a war (Fate/Zero could learn a thing or two from Shana III ). I will admit that the way Fecor went out a couple episodes ago was pretty lame, but Decarabia's death scene was marvelous, a great and fitting way for an important secondary antagonist to go out, while at the same time giving us a taste of what Sophie is capable of.

My only criticism for this episode is that there were a couple moments of QUALITY animation that stood out to me, but it wasn't anything too severe overall.

9/10 for Episode 11. I'm hoping that Shana can put up a better fight against Aizen!Yuji in Round 2. If so, the next few episodes should be excellent as well.