Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 14:15   Link #25143
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I have never understood people who just walk into classrooms or malls or cinemas and shoot the innocent. Why the necessity to ruthlessly steal away their lives? I might sound heartless but if they think their lives suck, why don't they shoot their own heads instead of inflicting pain on others? Are they that desperate to feel in control that they want to have the last bit of "power" before they are shot/arrested by the cops?

I am guessing if their minds are screwed, they are not bound by reasoning anyway.
I find these types of cases fascinating. The vast majority of people have no desire to harm others, so what makes these people different? Or, if they started out like the rest of us, what pushed them over the edge?

Based on a number of cases where past history could be established, it seems like the individuals came to feel isolated and despaired. One particular case from a few years ago was really interesting, because the shooter had a diary of sorts which revealed that even though he was a pretty social guy he felt horribly alone. He also came to resent women because he was always being turned down. He eventually decided to end it all; went into a gym with firearms, shot some women, and then shot himself.

It's fairly well-established that feelings of isolation (or true isolation) are psychologically harmful. I don't know exactly what happens to these people - maybe they lose their grip on reality, or perhaps their personality and values begin to warp. Either way, it's clear that something disengages. As to why they kill others in addition to themselves, who knows? Perhaps it's one sad, final effort to connect and be involved with others in some way.