View Single Post
Old 2010-09-28, 15:49   Link #11
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

This is . . . perplexing. A K-On . . . movie? How does one turn a slice-of-life moe-bait show like K-On into a movie? It's almost like trying to make a movie out of Seinfeld. Maybe if they made a mock documentary of Hokago Tea Time on tour, complete with flashbacks to earlier points in their career, goofy interviews with screaming, obsessed fans in a hilarious, ruthless, satire of otaku culture and rock documentaries. Why they could do an anime version of "This is Spinal Tap"! That'd be just awesome, and I'd pay good money to go see it in a theatre.

Alas, I'm expecting two hours of tea quaffing, cake munching, crumpet crunching, borderline-yuri, Mugi-vision-tastic antics, walking around, and cute moe-bait scenes as the girls struggle to overcome their inherent shiftless slackerdom to get ready for Budokan. Hopefully the movie budget will be such that they will be willing to work hordes of animators to their very deaths to make the most awesome-est fifteen minute long concert scene ever animated to end the movie with. If not, they'll cheap out and relentlessly recycle as much anime footage as possible, couching it in flashbacks and the movie will end with some cute and touching scene where the girls will go "wow, wasn't Budokan just freakin' awesome?" and the otaku will all scream "KAWAII!" and KyoAni will escape without having to actually animate much of the girls' performance at Budokan.

Don't get me wrong, I like K-ON! and I like the second season of K-ON!! even more. The movie announcement, however, makes me nervous.