View Single Post
Old 2007-07-02, 10:37   Link #20
Grey

Hmm, I didn't watch every episode because knowing the manga plot made it a bit tedious. Nevertheless, those episodes I did watch seemed superbly done. The little revisions and additions here and there were also rather interesting.

/rant-on/ For instance, the revised ending pleased me greatly, as the manga ending had Light seem quite out of character. He was highly intelligent and dedicated to his cause/ideal, had been prepared for death in the first chapter, was surrounded by death for the rest of the story...and later on he's suddenly no longer prepared for his own death? His life was in danger, and people were going to stop him from achieving the ideal he'd been willing to give his life for in the beginning--and the thing that suddenly matters to him more is his life rather than the collapse of the ideal he'd been working towards for six years? The ideal for which he'd killed countless people?! Making his life suddenly matter more to him is spontaneously redefining his character instead of keeping with how he's been portrayed. Unnecessary change. Hah, as one person pointed out, it almost feels like the author was trying to press a moral lesson. The anime altering the ending and adding other alterations seemed quite sensible./rant-off/

All in all, I found that the revisions and additions, the various entertaining special effects, the voice acting all went well. I imagine if I had been knew to the series I might have given the show a 10/10 on all counts. But a more conservative averaging of scores leaves my final score around 9.4.

Last edited by Grey; 2007-07-02 at 17:16. Reason: clarity