View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 01:13   Link #66
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
The most heated discussions tend to happen over text, especially on internet forums like this, and this doesn't just pertain to anime.
It is certainly true that we are allowed to be more open and free on the internet, mainly because the possible repercussions for us are usually much less. When people don't have to worry about their opinions possible costing them friends or isolating them, we are generally as a whole more open to expressing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Whether they said "X is shit because of Y", or "I didn't really like X, due to Y", makes no difference the same for argumentative purposes.
Hmmm, it depends what you are trying to argue but usually explaining your reasoning behind something is the best possible way to argue. Well it might not lead to agreement, stating your reasons for your opinion can help other people see where you are coming from and even if it doesn't, this opens up more areas of discussions on said topic/opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Actually, in terms of making an opinion (your opinion) accepted, I would say that even more important than having "facts" is being respected by other people, i.e. being able to make other people want to listen to your opinion. Cold hard facts might reflect reality, but it can't actually be said that it is human nature to desire reality above everything else. The most important thing is whether people actually want to hear what you're saying, and in that respect your message can be helped tremendously by proper etiquette or tone. After all, no one will want to respect you, if you clearly first do not respect them.
Respect is certainly needed as well. The way that once presents facts to others is just as important as the facts themselves. But if what you are saying is either incoherent or full of bias/assumptions, then even if it is presented in a respectable away most people won't be willing to listen. Although you are somewhat right where just having the ability to communicate with etiquette and respect can truly move people even without cold hard facts (Hitler/Nazi Germany).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Which gets to the heart of what this thread topic is talking about. A whole lot of (argumentative) people, on this forum and others, act like "truth" is their only concern. To ask them to try to show some respect for other people isn't a criticism, it's a genuinely well-intended suggestion to help them communicate more effectively. I'll refrain from generalizing it completely as a symptom of age, but basically it is ridiculously naive to think that you can get through all of life relying solely on "truth" or "objectivity". The sooner that people realize that you really do have to make room to account for human weakness (both in yourself, and in others) and empathy, the better.
You seem to be making the assumption, maybe unintentionally, that it is not possible to speak the truth and show respect which is completely false. Well the truth behind somethings maybe harsh and harder to bare, that doesn't mean it can't be presented in a respectable way. There seems to be another assumption that you can't seek the truth and account for human error at the same time, I feel like I maybe misunderstanding what you mean by "truth".
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote