View Single Post
Old 2008-03-05, 20:56   Link #78
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

@ DragoonKain3:

I don't have the time or patience to respond to everything you said, and frankly, I think we have already strayed way off topic, so we should probably wrap it up. I'll just make a few points.

1) Since you brought up wikipedia, here's their definition of a harem show:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Harem is a term used to describe Japanese works wherein a single average male character is surrounded by numerous (usually 3 to 7)[1] attractive females, most of whom are romantically interested in the main character.

Most members of the "harem" have some level of emotional attachment to the lead, ranging from romantic interest to casual friend to a sibling figure.
What do you know? Seems like my definition of harem is closer to Wikipedia's than yours.

2) You seem to take everything anidb says at face value. I would much rather use my common sense and my impressions from other people's opinions to judge the nature of a show. Here are just a few examples of how anidb can be wrong:

i) One of the shows I listed as harem and not on anidb's harem list is:

Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo

Anidb classifies it as comedy/romance(which is probably correct), but in the very description of the show, it says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidb
The lack of attending students leaves only the protagonist and a few girls, called his harem, living there.
ii) Another show on my list - Rental Magica - also doesn't make anidb's harem list, but it clearly fulfills the conditions of a harem show, described even by you, since the main character has at least three girls (Addy, Honami, Kuroha) romantically interested in him.

iii) Many of the shows I listed not classified as harem are classified as "love polygon" instead. Now, if a show has only one male character and one sidekick and plenty of females and is classified as "love polygon" then it definitely qualifies as harem too.

Anyway, those were just examples to show that anidb is not always right about the genre. I'm not holding anything against them, I think they are doing a great job, but when it comes to genre classification, I don't think their lists should be used as an argument.

3) Concerning KGNE:

Spoiler:

4) About grouping shounen and mecha together - the original topic which spurned this whole debate was a claim that the mecha genre was overexploited. If you feel like the shounen genre is overexploited, that's fine. You could probably even include mecha shows to further your case. I don't care. My point was the mecha genre by itself is certainly not overexploited compared to many other genres.