View Single Post
Old 2013-07-16, 22:03   Link #38
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
HERP DERP LETS USE AN OBSCURE BIKER REFERENCE FOR THE BIKER GUY
I read about this. From what I could gather this was a completely legitimate use of the phrase and the only reason it failed is because of the movement in the U.S. using that same phrase. As far as I could tell, that's not actually an obscure reference. I suspect we'd have to ask some people from Japan about that for a nail in the coffin, though.

Quote:
Again, I get the point, and I even admit myself that I'm being nitpicky. But I guess I feel that SHSL is simple and to the point, is all. I mean, the whole reason for the title in the first place is that the Hope's Peak students are all supposed to "super-excel" in their respective fields, correct? So it's not like the original Japanese term literally translates to something like "Ultra Mega Hyper High-school Level", right? I guess what I'm saying is that I feel "Super Duper" is a slightly excessive way of translating a term that already sounds pretty ridiculous in the first place (though again, this is just me being biased here).....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, I was agreeing with you but for other reason.
Past the fact super duper looks even more ridiculous than the "normal translation", I think you lose a certain subtlty by removing the class/level mention. It basically remove that aspect of a "category" which is actually required after learning more about DR in general.
I was always under the impression that the SDHSchoolers are supposed to be beyond even professionals in their field. That's the precedent they create with the majority of the cast. Chihiro is supposed to have created an absolutely amazing piece of software as her first project at a young age, something that was above and beyond professional work. Maizono and Junko are both, from what I could tell, the most famous idol and model in the country. Touko has basically done the equivalent of Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray in her career as an author.

So going off of their history it seems like they're supposed to be the best of the best, in a sense.

To clarify about the titles from last page, I think that some of them were done well. Celes for example was perfectly fine. It mainly those select few that were a bit strange to me. Any particular reason why they would choose to label Touko as 'writer' instead of 'author'?