View Single Post
Old 2009-09-18, 21:42   Link #6
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I think by limiting its edit-ability to just forum members, you run the risk of limiting its usefulness. The crux of edits and updates are inevitably going to be made by a small group of committed users, just as is the case at ANN (from what I gather). If those people start dropping off, and there isn't a steady supply of new ultra-committed editors to replace them, the thing might stagnate and become completely obsolete and irrelevant and too much of a pain to bring up to speed again. If there's one thing you can rely on, it's the laziness of people. If it's just little things, I don't think you should actively put up barriers to prevent people from tweaking the lists.

My suggestion would be to give non-members permission to make minor edits. If they're committed enough to make major changes to the wiki, then they're committed enough to register... but you probably have to assume that most people aren't. With that said, I'm not familiar enough with wiki editing to know how this is done (or even if it's possible). If you're worried about graffiti, I'm sure the wiki software should give you more than enough power to ban troublemakers and undo their graffiti without too much effort. A "report" button would probably be a good idea as well. Wiki graffiti-ists tend to be anything but subtle.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote