View Single Post
Old 2006-10-01, 14:36   Link #50
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

If you play an RPG to play a game, you're playing the wrong kind of game. Of all the genres of games I have EVER played, the RPG has by far the LEAST hands-on play. FPSs, flight action games, etc... ALL have more gameplay than RPGs which are 1/3rd running around, 1/3rd clicking fighting commands in a menu, and 1/3rd watching cinematics.

The reason I don't like these puzzles is that they completely ruin the flow of the fact that I'm in a world being told a story, and the villain just decided to put these SOLVABLE puzzles throughout his castle, and left the key to his secret chambers lying around somewhere behind a dungeon door!

I mean come the hell on, if you had to make an impregnable fortress, why not make the puzzles impossible, or simply just inundate it with all sorts of brutal traps or monsters? Puzzles add nothing to the story, which is everything in an RPG. They are just distractions for the sake of gameplay, and while I don't mind puzzles in a puzzle game, they do not belong in a game which is supposed to tell a story.

In FFX, those little cloister of trials or whatever the hell you went through with Tidus while everyone else was waiting outside just screamed "WTF" to me. Why was Tidus doing those puzzles and not going with the rest of the party? Because he's some hooligan that feels like playing in the temples? Come on.

And actually, if I am being told a VISUAL STORY, I want the VISUALS to be PLEASING. Yuna is not somebody to jack off to. FFS she's barely even legal. But she is aesthetically pleasing. Ditto Tifa.

LoZ provides NOTHING that makes an RPG good. Typical kill-big-badguy story, inundate with puzzles and distractions for lack of a good story, and then pride yourself on making a good game.

Frankly, if I want "gameplay", I'll go and play an FPS or a flying shooter game. But if I want to be told a story, I'll play an RPG, and in an RPG, the less I have to do of pressing attack, and clicking on target monster, the better. This is why I think FFX is far better than FF7 is, since FFX had FAR better instruments to tell a story, even though said story was arguably worse. FF7 to me focused more on gameplay, FFX more on story.

If RPG tells bad story, RPG sucks.