View Single Post
Old 2010-04-23, 10:50   Link #8741
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
On the romance theme.
It is absolutely wrong to think a story is loveless if it doesn't entail an happy ending for the couple. The most beautiful love stories often do not end that way. Saying otherwise would be like claiming that "Romeo and Juliet" is loveless, or to make a more recent example: Titanic.
And what to say about Dante himself? He wrote poems to Beatrice, he even gave her a prominent role in his masterpiece, claiming in various instances his unconditional love. However Dante didn't even touch Beatrice, not in the real world, not in the fictional one.

I could make many other examples... but I would spoil too much. Anyway to reiterate: the love stories that touched me the most and are generally acclaimed by the public do not end with the couple living happily thereafter.
The problem I have with it isn't that there isn't gonna be a happy end. But...that in the end... what was Kanon? He was an artifical personality, a play act, (at least in Chrno's theory), even if Sayo believes that he was real in the end e was just her acting and make believe.
Would you see Romeo and Juliet still as a brilliant love story if Romeo lets just say was just Angelica playacting?
Quote:
And there's also the fact that George, even being a 23 years old young man, is still treated like a child for the most part, that makes me think that Eva could have still perceived herself as "small" when she used to play with Rosa.
I agree but one thing that took me off is that Eva-B described their relationship rather happily while if we trust Rosa to some degree Eva just mocked her. It was different than the protrayal of the relationship that we got before.