View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 20:53   Link #46
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I watched this over the weekend, but I didn't see the thread here until now. I guess I'll share my thoughts on the film which I've posted in some other places. If anyone else has seen the film, I'm definitely interested in reading what you have to say about the themes too. It's a pretty interesting film.

Impressions:

For those who are wondering about how the visuals hold up, being a full CG anime film, I would say it's not shabby at all, but there's definitely much more work to be done. There are definitely numerous scenes where the celshading is extremely impressive and extremely close to hand-drawn art in terms of composition and coloring. The most telling thing though, is the hair. CG anime hair never really works right, and it's not any different here. But there were some pretty nice looking action sequences, and there's definitely creative composition and camera work which takes advantage of it being a CG film.

The 3D effect was pretty good too, with many scenes clearly designed for the effect from the start. You can tell it's designed to be a "3D" movie when there are camera tracking shots during action sequences which takes the audience through the environment to emphasis the stereoscopic effect. It's gimmicky for sure, but it can still be entertaining. But my favorite 3D shots are the more subtle ones which play with depth to compose an interesting looking scene - the best example are the shots where a character is looking through a glass window or something similar, and the camera is just behind the window, from the character's point of view. The level of depth differentiates the scene the character is looking at outside and the glass panel itself clear, with the glass panel being "closer" to the audience, and you can see the characters' reflection on the glass as they react to what they're seeing, as if it is your own reflection. Pretty cool imo.

Oh and CG vehicles still look dodgy, even in 3D. Sure, they pop up more realistically, but that just makes the CG anime designs for planes and cars just stick out even more... literally! Didn't really bother me that much, but it definitely wasn't anything to be proud of. Someone really needs to innovate in this department for anime CG.

On the other hand, while the visuals might not be super impressive, the music sure fucking is. Kenji Kawai brought his AAA game to the soundtrack here. Really stunning main theme running throughout the film, great location themes, really dynamic sound range, fantastic audio experience. The music really added A LOT to the movie imo, especially since as I will get to in a bit, this is not really a blockbuster action movie and more of an Oshii-lite philosophy movie pretending to be an action movie. Lol.

Yeah... about the story. It was one weird ass movie. This was the part I really didn't expect at all going on, and it was kinda a nice surprise because that made the film more original than it would be otherwise. It's really set up in a weird way, because the first half of the film is a really well directed modern action thriller setup for rebooting Cyborg 009. I'm really impressed by how capable Kamiyama is at introducing and fleshing out a full team of 10 characters in the limited runtime. Even characters without much importance to the main narrative felt like they had their own unique place in the team. Psycho-Pass could stand to learn a thing or two here! The setting and the conspiracy mystery felt a lot like some of the stuff in GitS:SAC too, but approached with presentation which reminded me a little of Pluto. It was really pretty exciting stuff.

Then it just gets... weird. Instead of the mystery and the conspiracy ever leading to something satisfying and climatic, the movie goes off the deep end into philosophy trying to tie together modern politics, sub-conscious religious calling, the history of mankind, the ultimate fate of the world, and mankind's relationship with the will of god. What is god? What is religion? What secrets lie buried in the human mind? Are we masters of our own destiny? The show never answers any of these questions either, because the purpose is in the asking of questions without an answer.

It feels like Kamiyama was torn between desperately trying to channel Oshii and delivering a movie in a respected franchise which could be sold to fans without coming off as strange. This bi-polar nature meant that they had plenty of footage to put into trailers without turning people away, but also that the movie itself is ultimately unsatisfying because it never really does either thing really well. But still, I enjoyed the movie enough to say it was not a bad film, just a very unusual one. It certainly had more to say than most anime movies, and I give it credit for that, but I'm also not in any particular hurry to watch it again anytime soon.

---

After I wrote those impressions, I took a day to reflect on some of the themes in the story and did another write-up on it. I'll place it under a spoiler tag since I discuss a lot of actual plot elements and the ending of the film:

Spoiler:
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote