View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 21:17   Link #49
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
How is this actually a good thing though? I thought the Japanese were very proud and hard working people. And that they loved animation more than anything else. Why would you trade your beautiful handdrawn animation for CG fest? Come on Japan. This is what sets you apart from the rest of the world. Your amazing creative minds and awesome animation. Why would you replace that with something as generic as CG.

I don't think there's anything wrong with CG movies, but to say that I would like it be mainstream in anime is going really far.
And yet they saw it fit to outsource animation work to countries like South Korea, Malaysia and the Philipines, mainly as a cost and time-saving measure. CGI is employed extensively in conjunction with 2D on backgrounds, vehicles, mechs and whatnot. The "traditional anime" isn't an exculsively Japanese affair for a long while now.

The reality is that traditional hand-drawn animation is getting more expensive for it to be cost-effective. It's sort of inevitable other venues would have to be explored and CGI is an obvious choice. The Berserk movies are doing it, and now Re:Cyborg 009. It's fast becoming a trend, whether we like it or not.

Of course 2D anime won't die out for a far foreseeable future, but I reckon it'll soon become a thing of novelty rather than as ubiquitous for the time being.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote