View Single Post
Old 2008-06-12, 14:47   Link #92
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
While I certain he's not suicidal he does sort of act recklessly when he's flying. A possible cause of this is his wanting to prove himself in flying so people will forget about his Kabuki. I think his flying is adversely affected by his issues from the past. And yes I do believe you should pick your times to bring up sensitive issues but I think people are often too reluctant to be straightforward about issues.
Posing his Battroid like he just finished a show isn't doing him any wonders in that regard. For that matter I kind of wondered if maybe, just maybe he cut his hair during ep. 10, but no dice. As adamant as he is about being his own man, he's still holding on to his past on some level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
It's a voice over from the movie but one not from the actual Macross Zero. The line was added to show Mao's feeling at the time and to convey that this is feelings that Ranka now understands. That kiss scenes aren't for the satisfaction of actors doesn't mean that they can't find it satisfying. Ranka didn't specifically chose to do the role because she wanted to kiss Alto. One of the reasons she wasn't going to do the role was because of her reluctance to kiss him. That changed when she saw Sheryl kiss him. Maybe it was jealousy, or competitiveness. Who knows. It probably similar reason that Sheryl kissed Alto in the first place. Either way that changed Ranka reluctance into a reason to do it. Not the goal but just another reason.
I don't think it was jealousy, or competitiveness really. I think the significance of it was Ranka looking in the mirror, so to speak, and really understanding and acknowledging her feelings towards Alto, and to an extent Sheryl mirrored in the story of "Bird Human." Regardless of (or maybe because of) the kiss scene she really could put her heart into the role, regardless of the fact she probably never saw herself as an actress before.

Of course, Ranka isn't 11 like Mao was, so that leaves things a bit more open in the grand scheme of things...