View Single Post
Old 2008-08-21, 14:50   Link #33
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
this show ofers some promise for refinement and class.
Not to start an unnecessary flame, but what exactly is offering that promise?

Apart from the production finesse, which is par for the course (I would be unbelievably shocked if M&H was shoddily made), I don't really see anything special.

- Story — breathtakingly common
- Characters — breathtakingly common
- Setting — uncommon, but not unheard of
- Style — haven't seen much yet to judge
- Music — quite common. Kanno has done this style to death. I suppose having a Brazilian for a composer is refreshing, but the music itself isn't exactly original.

Again, not trying to start a flame, but I am honestly incredulous at the raptured applause M&H has been receiving. Many, if not all, must be prejudging it on the merits of prior manglobe works, and it's a valid point. But even based on that metric I cannot help finding this series to be on a downward spiral compared to Ergo Proxy or Champloo in terms of originality.

If you compare every promising new anime you watch to a bottom-of-the-barrel trash, then you'd naturally think that every choice you make is excellent. I don't really think that this approach is all that useful. Personally, I stay away from "bottom-of-the-barrel" altogether, so my taste must be perfect and beyond reproach. And yes, that was sarcasm. 8)

Seriously, what do you see in here? If you could explain in detail, then perhaps my opinion might change. 8)

PS: To be absolutely clear about this, no, I don't really feel so strongly about it. But since my opinion was rebuffed so thoroughly, I have no other option than to explain myself.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote