Thread: Licensed Denno Coil (TV Series!)
View Single Post
Old 2010-10-06, 07:47   Link #1088
shotgunsuzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
All this technology currently exists. The problem is in implementing mass systems. They require a critical mass before the technology can be useful. But without the technology being useful, it's difficult to reach critical mass. Catch 22.

Cell phones had a terrible time catching on in America in the 90s with many large companies losing their shirts. But once they had the necessary installed base, they took off like crazy, but many years behind Asia.

I'm currently reading Phil Dick stories from the early 50s. I'm noting not so much all the unrealistic futuristic technology, but the lack of imagination in envisioning old technology becoming obsolete.

e.g. The diplomat meeting the aliens offers them all cigarettes to be cordial.
The vidphone takes a while to come on because the tubes have to warm up. And then you have to ask the operator to place your call for you.

P.S. About every ten years since 1950 someone has tried to get vidphones going and it has failed every single time. What's up with that?
Interesting point drobertbaker, about technology needing to be useful, and also needing to reach a critical mass. Hehe, i guess i'm too cynical sometimes in my point of view. About All this technology currently existing^^ point me in the direction of the (glasses) from dennou coil! i want em!

p.s. the vidphone is here isn't it? just the other day i was sure i saw a cell-phone commercial touting the use of video phone technology. Also checkout sci-fi channel's warehouse 13 they have a vidphone in that! I think it's catching on now gimme my dennou coil glasses!
shotgunsuzie is offline   Reply With Quote