Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 20:00   Link #1806
Qilin
Romanticist

Hm. 68 pages for chapter 13... It seems Ritz-sensei has found her stride once again. Let's look at everyone individually:

One thing I'm definitely happy about is finally seeing Sumire in action, and with a fitting crazy power to go along with it, the ability to target any player. Still, I'm not exactly thrilled by her supposed "weakness" since it feels a bit cheap to me. But then again, reading body language is a valid strategy in poker, so I guess doing it in mahjong isn't all that different, just that it should be a lot harder. As a side note, I just can't help but love how she looks. That long flowing hair is like something out of Japanese mythology after all, plus she has the elegance and grace that goes with such a comparison.

On the other hand, Shindouji's sergeant is no slouch herself. On the contrary, it seems that she still has some surprise in store. She's playing normally for now (minus that habit of not declaring riichi), but I wonder if she has some sort of power.

As for Yuu, I'm simply glad about her perfomance so far. I was worried that my favorite Achiga wouldn't be getting any love, but here it is. Though I am a bit ambivalent that it was done at the expense of making Sumire look worse, but I guess that's a necessary sacrifice. It really is nice seeing how reliable she's looking right now.

With all the players are going around doing and preparing all sorts of crazy stunts, someone has to take the brunt of the impact, and I'm sorry to say that this role falls to Senriyama in this match. It really is sad that this happened right after everything that Toki did to extend the match to that point. Izumi is going to have to work hard if she wants a chance.

In any case, I'm glad that the chapter explained why Toki chose to fight against Teru's streak instead of assuring their place as second. If no explanation was given, it probably would have haunted me forever as an unexplained plot hole.