View Single Post
Old 2009-04-14, 22:41   Link #919
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The problem is that the Gallians obviously learned nothing. Not that this little detail would distract me from my enjoyment of the show, but I thought I should point out that although the Gallians have went through developing a working, operational prototype, they retained nothing from it (not even superficial factors) and instead opted for vehicles from the previous generation that had already been outclassed on the battlefield. In the game, the Shamrock can act as an infantry support fighting vehicle, but going against an Imperial tank, like the Standard Imperial Tank that was in the 2nd episode, is actually not an easy thing to accomplish.

- Tak
I'm looking at the Edel as a conversion from a heavy weapons platform to an improved CNC unit. The emphasis moved from pure assault to keeping the "Boss" alive. All the while having the speedy command unit mobile and able to lay heavy fire support at the front lines. Thus far, this world has no airpower for spotters in the field. Effective command reach would therefore IMO be determined by how fast the people are on the ground.

Something like this would be quite a doctrine shift from the giant columns of men and machines that steam rolls over the opposition. An Imp. rapid strike unit probably has to commit 6 pieces of armour [plus command car] for every 50 men. The Gallian's cannot fight like this due to inherent manpower limits. I get the impression that they have few professional soldiers/officers, the bulk of their army consist of conscripts and local militias. Covering that weakness with better CNC somehow would be an advantage.

It would take a revolutionary of some sort willing to secret away and support the development of a new type of field command unit to use in a future war. Such shifts usually happens on the very fringe of contemporary thinking and would take a while to spread [like tank Calvary in WW2]. If that's the case, the Edel is a step in that direction though not quite there yet.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote