View Single Post
Old 2010-07-06, 09:03   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post

PS I am going to side with a lot of people in regards to almost blatant plagiarism. Not all, but you can't have a lead character emulate something that's a cultural phenomenon and think you can get away with it.
I agree that Yurippe emulated Haruhi Suzumiya to a significant degree (there are definite differences between the two, but there are some real similarities too, and they're not all just superficial), but I don't think that this is necessarily a negative.

If a particular character is popular, I don't see the harm in that character becoming a source of inspiration for future characters. You don't want complete clones of course (and Yurippe wasn't an outright clone of Haruhi), but some striking similarities can be good for marketing purposes, and can create added interest in a character. Think of all the "masked men" of Gundam, for example, which were all inspired by the original, Char Aznable. Most, if not all, of these masked men are amongst the most popular characters within their respective Gundam series'.