View Single Post
Old 2006-01-12, 02:31   Link #1
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

The Astronomy Discussion Thread

I remember there was an astronomy thread, so I searched the forums for astro/astronomy but did not find it. Perhaps it was lost due to the hack incident. Hence, here's a new thread to have casual or critical discussions related to astronomy. Anyways, the news I want to bring is:

The most detailed observation of the Messier object 42 (M42, or more commonly known as The Orion Nebula) has just been completed by The Hubble Space Telescope. Over 100 Hubble orbits, Hubble snapshotted mosaics of M42 amounting to a billion pixels, creating one of the most detailed and largest astronomical image ever released to the public. The resolution is so high that, even spectral M stars (low mass dim red stars) and the even dimmer brown dwarfs (multiple Jupiter mass objects that lack sufficient mass to compress their core enough to initiate fusion), can be seen in the visible spectrum. In fact, the first brown dwarf binary is possibly discovered in this observation. Check out moderately sized images and the full story here. Or grab the image in its full sized glory of 18000x18000 pixels. The full size image has sufficient resolution to make a fine 12ftx12ft print wallpaper (in 300 dpi), according to my friend in photography. 12ftx12ft print wallpaper is much too large, I but think 5ftx5ft of this image in print is splendid enough...ahhhh, beauty isn't it?
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote