Thread: Avatar
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-05, 14:35   Link #195
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
The visuals are great sure but there's plenty of appeal besides the images and the story. For instance, the story is realistic in many ways - the science is grounded in modern theories, there are practical limitations on space travel, hardware, etc. It's not like they're whipping out time travel like it's the thing to do, like Star Trek.

I found the concepts behind the Avatar program and the Na'vi transfer system interesting. The "hair hookup" thing the Na'vi used was an interesting touch that they shared with the other native species. In a way our own internet is becoming more and more like a giant neural network, in fact many anime have followed that idea including Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain.

Surrogates, another recent sci-fi movie, also used the concept of "avatar" bodies. Considering that scientists are getting closer and closer to mapping the brain and understanding how it works, in addition to the advancement of robotics as a whole, the idea that one day we could live out our lives in another body isn't inconceivable.

Anyway, personally I took more away from this movie than the story and the pretty visuals. I took away the possibilities and ideas that were shown. One of the things that got me into science fiction in the first place was that even the weakest of stories often had the most fantastic of settings, and other stories were absolutely amazing because they used the most mundane settings to showcase something extraordinary.

Science fiction to me has always been about the possibilities, the ability to use your imagination to ponder "what if?"