Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-06, 16:01   Link #4943
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Yet I don't remember anybody complaining about it. So if people were fine with abiding with the laws regulating noise, why can't they abide with the ones regulating construction?

BTW, as I explained above, our building regulations are extremely strict, and our people are very attached to the uniqueness of our land.
The thing is, the referendum wasn't about banning tall towers that would affect the landscape. It's about banning minarets.

I can understand the desire to want to maintain aesthetics of an area. I can also sympathize with those who would support such a ban for trying to maintain a cultural identity. However, the issue is certainly about more than simple construction regulation. There are growing numbers of Muslim immigrants in Europe. Minarets are a religious symbol, but they are also seen by some as seen a sign of political power and "spreading of Islamic fundamentalism," and certainly this is a large portion of the support for a minaret ban.

Church steeples are similar in shape and meaning. There's nothing in the Bible requiring them for worship, just as there is nothing requiring minarets in the Qur'an. I imagine that there are some steeples in Switzerland (my google of Swiss churches seems to confirm that ). Yet the ban does not include them. I think the reason people are upset is not that they don't think Switzerland has a right to protect its architectural aesthetics, but rather that a structure of the Muslim religion is being specifically targeted, and would seem to infringe on religious freedom.