View Single Post
Old 2012-10-02, 12:30   Link #1103
careph

"Against positivism, which halts at phenomena--"There are only facts"--I would say: No, facts is precisely what there is not, only interpretations. We cannot establish any fact "in itself": perhaps it is folly to want to do such a thing.

"Everything is subjective," you say; but even this is interpretation. The "subject" is not something given, it is something added and invented and projected behind what there is.--Finally, is it necessary to posit an interpreter behind the interpretation? Even this is invention, hypothesis.

In so far as the word "knowledge" has any meaning, the world is knowable; but it is interpretable otherwise, it has no meaning behind it, but countless meanings.--"Perspectivism."

It is our needs that interpret the world; our drives and their For and Against. Every drive is a kind of lust to rule; each one has its perspective that it would like to compel all the other drives to accept as a norm."

- Nietzsche, Will to Power, 481

I had been looking for this passage for quite some time now, and of all people a theologian pointed me to the right source.
You can of course find easy counterarguments against the statement, but I still think it's proven to be visionary for European thought, and deserves proper attention
careph is offline   Reply With Quote