Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 16:58   Link #1161
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
We will very likely have a flash back to that once the anime starts following Hero,s side of the story as it does set up a key plot point that is unavoidable unless major changes are made to the story. I do wish I knew if the order of events was the same in the manga as the novel. For all we know the anime may be sticking even closer to the novel then the manga did.
The problem here isn't that we don't see much of Hero's story. It's that we know nothing about the demon world and its problems, so the viewers don't care about what he's up to. And therein lies the main weakness of this show: there hasn't been enough good exposition to sell the world, and selling the world is a vital part of the story. We find out quite a bit of information about the human world: the power politics, food situation, commerce, social structure, and so forth. Demon King's efforts interweave with all of these elements, and we get an idea of the stakes involved. What about the demon world? Almost nothing - not the power situation, society, not even anything about normal demons.

I'm being a bit picky here, but I really question the premise behind sustaining the war as related by Demon King. Generally, famines happen when there are local shortages of food from temporary causes, but she's talking a global shortage, and a continual one at that. A continual global shortage of food means that there are too many people for the land to sustain across the entire human world. The only possible outcome is that people die off (and very quickly) until it drops to sustainable levels. In this kind of scenario, the human nations wouldn't have the capacity to survive, much less be able to wage war.

The overall idea of solving the problem through increased food production is a bit wonky as well. During the Medieval era, subsistence food production is strictly a local affair since it's impossible to transport vast quantities of food across large distances. And thus adding a corn crop in the north will do very little to help people starving in the south. Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of interesting ideas in the show, but they're just not developed as well as I'd like.