View Single Post
Old 2009-08-25, 18:32   Link #30
Rawinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
They're more tolerable, but that are still annoying, and feel extremely out of place. At least Shinta and Qum fit in quite well in ZZ.
Can't argue with that. Two annoying characters do fit in quite well in an annoying show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
I think I'll just mention how many times Fraw says "Amuro!" and how many times Sayla says "Casval" and leave it at that. I don't think its a problem with their personalities themselves, more so the way they are depicted. I like the way Sayla is depicted in Gundam Origins for example (even though she is essentially the same character), but in the TV series at least she is just depicted to be way too obsessed with Casval, to the point of being annoying.
I don't necessarily disagree, I just personally never found them annoying and actually rather liked Sayla (not so much Fraw), which is more than I can say for a lot of female characters in Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
No, I was (at least I think I was) agreeing with whoever it was criticizing it.

I just never felt any chemistry between any of the White Base crew. Relationships didn't seem to develop much, and there never seemed to be much comradery between any of the pilots. The crew did mature individually, but there was never really any sense of them coming together even though they've basically went through hell together. By large, the character interaction just seemed mostly dated and lacked meaning.
Eh, to each his own. I just finished watching the series a month ago, for the first time in years, and was really surprised at how well the core group of characters worked together. As I said, it felt natural and believable to me, and was a nice breath of fresh air from other shows where the group dynamic feels forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
Are there any good female characters in the main Universal Century canon? Seems like all of them have their own set of flaws. I do agree that Sayla was much too obsessed with her brother, so bad in fact that during one of the first battles when they returned to space, she had a clean shot on a Zeon mobile armor and backed off solely because she thought Char was the pilot. My favorite example of a worthless female in UC is Reccoa Londe, who pulled an about face and defected to the enemy almost exclusively because Char did not take off his sunglasses when he kissed her.
Ugh, I always hated that. Most of the women in Zeta are unbearable to watch, the only good ones from that series that I can think of are Emma and Haman (who is pretty much ruined in ZZ anyway).

As for your question, I think most female characters in UC end up doing at least one annoying thing or have one annoying trait. The only exception I can think of is Christina Mackenzie from 0080.
Rawinder is offline   Reply With Quote