View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 09:15   Link #23745
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Are you saying that Umineko is a work of fiction? Because we know that.
Then what's the point of trying to dodge all the implication of an author theory by pushing your suspension of disbelief a level above? And another level above, and so on.

Quote:
Are you saying that, on the R-Prime layer, everything is fictional, including the layer believed to be "R-Prime or something like it," and that no incident ever occurred? Because that's certainly possible ("lol Battler and Yasu are just kids in high school and this is the story they wrote"), there's just no evidence of even a superficial kind.

EDIT: Well okay there's superficial evidence. But this layer isn't even hinted at. It's like trying to imagine Ange's world right after ep2. You can kinda guess, and there's some idea of what it should look like, but nothing solid.
That's still what I believe we were supposed to do. Basically if you want something akin to deconstructing Beatrice/Yasu's stories to learn more about the author's feelings and her relation to her intended reader. You cannot claim this is impossible to do. Sure deconstruction of a work might not be a well exact science but we've been repeated over and over ever since arc 1 that objectivity will not exist on Rokkenjima.

I remember you calling (as mostly a joke I think) Umineko a thinly veiled love letter to BT, so surely you can understand what I mean.

Edit : I love your kids example since arc 7 ura made an allusion to Bern/LD being school bullies of Ange.

Edit Again : Concerning arc 5, Chrono has a theory where it's basically a fanfiction work of "Erika" *(who'd be a popular witch hunter) that is being retaken by Hachijou to prove it's wrong. Thought it might be interesting to share in the author continuity thing.

Edit Again... again : Can't believe I didn't mention this but, for my overall theory, just think about what Dante did with Beatrice when writing the divine comedy and how much it's been referenced in the story and you certainly cannot say my idea is "out of nowhere" or based on nothing anymore. Keep in mind in the comedy Purtagory is an island too.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2011-08-12 at 10:04.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote