View Single Post
Old 2012-02-09, 13:03   Link #1181
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Not to derail this any further (if that's even possible), but can we maybe define this whole "main" character thing?

Typically stories that have either a singular 'main character' the story stays with throughout, or it swaps between multiple 'characters'.

Saying a story can have many main characters is like saying a story can have multiple protagonists. It's sort of meaningless to the origins of the word. Saying a story can have a main character who is not the protagonist when the two words mean pretty much the same thing is equally odd.

I will agree stores can have multiple characters and spend time looking out at the world from each of their viewpoints... but each character isn't really the main character, per se. They're just characters at that point. I agree the main character does not have to be the hero... he can be a narrator or sidekick type role.

Minor nitpick, sorry.
Let's take something like a group as an example. Can you pick 1 single main character if you look at a sentai serie like Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger? I have my doubts, because in a way the whole group is pretty much just as important indivually. Of course, there are episodes in which one get mre focus than the others but those function to add more development
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote