View Single Post
Old 2012-04-30, 19:38   Link #21
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Well then, this was hard to write without going into very spoiler specific territory, but even then
Spoiler for '' for replay to Dr. Meo":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The irony, for me, is that I typically don't go for really dark shows, and yet I tend to love Gen's forays into the anime world.

I think the reason is that, like pretty much all good writers, Gen has core ideas or philosophies that inform and inspire his writing. This gives his writing a certain purposefulness and narrative momentum that makes for a very engaging and enthralling experience, in my opinion.
I think you have summed it up right there why I like his writing as well. If there is one thing Gen is really good at, is that he is really able to make me understand what has happened, how it came to that point, and how cruel it was for the characters, but not strike me as something unnecessarily cruel. That sense like everything in the story has a purpose and a reason for occurring gives it a more ''complete'' feeling, and the impression that he puts a lot of thought into his stories.

I think that's really the thing that draws me to him, not the dark part, but how it's balanced so it's not a complete crapsack world where no hope is to be found, but there it is a hard path to take to get to where you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Gen's quote on love that Arabesque provided is interesting to me. The way love is portrayed in his works is often a slightly scary, pretty obsessed, and somewhat counterproductive thing. You can tell that Gen himself is apprehensive about romantic love. It's probably good that Gen is able to portray love this way, because not all love stories end well, and sometimes it can be good to be reminded of that.
I think that it's sort of something that shows up a lot in different forms across his work as well, in Sayaka and Kariya, how their love twisted them and brought them to their ruin.

Even in Phantom of the inferno, love set a path that ultimately lead to a lead characters death, and in some case was actually used as a weapon in many cases.

I wonder if Gen ever loved someone in his life ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
From what I've seen of Fate/Zero and Madoka, he seems to really have a thing for the unsung heroes.
To torture them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Of course, there's some chance that he's fooling us and has deliberately chosen to set himself apart from other storytellers. There's no doubt that Gen's reputation was built on dark, twisted writing.
I won't remove the possibility that some part of what we read about him or the thing he says might be cleaver marketing to help establish his reputation as a dark writer, but I think that a large part of it has to be truthful.

Unless he's a really, really good liar ...