View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 16:47   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I certainly didn't expect a "break free of the system" kind of conclusion, but color me quite unimpressed and annoyed by the "and things come into a circle" ploy, considering the build up so far is, practically speaking, meaningless at this point.
There wasn't any "magically universal good ending" possible with this series to begin with, that's a given. However, being sent back to square one is rather a major gripe with me.
Yes pretty much. While I can't really fault it for anything more then not being of my taste, I was expecting more from the series. The ending, and the episode in general, just demote a lot of action in previous episode (more specifically from around the time Makshima entered the Sybil HQ building to the present) to little more then hype and over-dramatized action with philosophical spoonfeeding, as opposed to the more thought provoking interactions of episodes before said events.

IMO the really good parts of the series are,
  • the utopion society
  • the sins of an utopian society
  • the demons in an utopian society
  • no limit to the world
  • no center to the world
It's just so interesting to see really good people painted as really bad people and really bad people painted as really good people, just because of the frame of sybil and the social structure.

And the really bad parts are,
  • the over reliance on Kogami as a plot device
  • confining the world to some city limits and borders and this nonsense goverment
  • the portrail of Sybil as a disguisting scam, in very basic cliche terms no less (ie. brains in a jar); the mood was so much better when it was merely "the perfect system that can look into your soul"
  • the over dramatization of Makshima; I like the character, but it was just a tad over done
  • the overliance on sybil hax as the only plot device; okey so to be a criminal you have to evade the detectors, we get it, I think in detective/police story you have a lot more bullets then that

Hm. From purely personal preference I'd say...

"sybil the system" episodes 10/10
"sybil the jarbrains" episodes 6/10