View Single Post
Old 2008-08-08, 11:37   Link #1
zka

BayTSP using crawlers in order to obtain ip's from torrents and to send DMCA....

Added 2008/09/08:
As this thread is now linked from the front page (and I have to admit I've should have done this way earlier, I apologize for not doing this sooner), I like to add a few pointers:
  • Titles affected
    Known list:
    • Sekirei
    • Tetsuwan Birdy Decode
    • Persona ~Trinity Soul~
    • Queen's Blade
    For a full list of Aniplex productions, check the ANN Encyclopedia

• Titles mentioned in DMCA notices sent on behalf of Aniplex are not considered licensed by AnimeSuki
    It's simple: Aniplex is a Japanese anime studio. As the original rights holder, they have the right to sent out DMCA notices to anyone who infringes on their works, but it doesn't mean the series in question is going to be licensed in the US any time soon.

• BitTorrent is an insecure protocol
    Face it. Any time you download a torrent, your BT client contacts a tracker which holds a list of IPs that are also downloading the file(s) in question and adds your IP to this list as well. This is the primary source of evidence for BayTSP. Also note that encryption won't stop this; encryption will only (potentially) prevent bandwidth throttling but it won't hide your IP from BT trackers.

If you want to prevent from being targeted by these DMCA notices by Aniplex, either download the affected series some other way (IRC, newsgroups, fileshare, etc) or just avoid Aniplex series altogether.

For updated info, see http://wiki.animesuki.com/wiki/DMCA_notices

- GHDpro

(My apologies for zka for hijacking his post, but if I put this at the end of the thread a lot of people would miss it)

Well, just found out on irc by following a conversation that BayTSP is using crawlers on tokyotosho and animesuki in order to obtain ip's and in turn send letters to the ISP's and users when one is downloading a series, even if that series is unlicensed.

Got this from a link that was posted too which pretty much sums the conversation that went on :

Torrents links uploaded to tokyotosho.com have been compromised. Agroup that is similar to Media Defender called BayTSP run by a selfrighteous faggot named Mark Ishikawa has sent crawlers out to searchfor addresses to send DMCA Cease and Desist letters. Companies such asAniplex have hired this distasteful group to work on their behalf. Theyhave even giving warnings for animes unlicensed in USA/English with nocertain date for release.

And only to confirm this there was already one response on anidb regarding chihiros releases of sekirei..

"so i got something that beats anything you guys have to say about this group. I'm not flaming, trolling, or anything.

I JUST got off the phone with my ISP here in Kentucky. The only group I've dl'ed Sekirei from is Chihiro. Guess who sent a Cease and Desist: Copyright Infringement notice to my ISP and had my internet disabled? Aniplex. Why was that sent? I was downloading Sekirei "using a bittorrent network with the files available for others to upload / download."

I have never in my life had a problem with 'the law' becasue of my downloads. I definitely won't be touching a single series from this group from now on, though. As it was explained to me by the kind gentleman at my ISP, they connect themselves to the swarm and then check IP's for others in it. Don't know if it has anything to do with Chihiro's group in particular, but I am certainly not going to put my trust in their group if I've only downloaded 1 series from them 1 day and got C&D immediately. (dl'ed ep 1-5 two or three days ago). All I'm saying is, be careful."

Found an old thread about this from 2007 but there was no major "raid" on torrents as it seems..... As of a few days ago there seems to be quite a large number of ppl that have received DMCA's so I'm wondering if anyone has more information about this..

Last edited by GHDpro; 2009-09-30 at 06:13. Reason: Added Queen's Blade
zka is offline   Reply With Quote