View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 00:49   Link #1130
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
This arc is interesting for afew reasons

First, Taichi's desire to literally throw a punch. He's not all bunny rabbits and rainbows after all, he certainly is suppressing some darker side of himself.
I think I'm getting the same vibe from Taichi as you're getting, but I'm unsure on the specifics of it.

My current idea is that Taichi is getting frustrated with his friends. We see a bit of this in the next episode preview where he's calling out Inaba.

Taichi is constantly having to deal with his friends' issues and personality quirks, while he himself isn't causing similar issues (outside of romance conflict that is as much a complication for Taichi as it is for Iori and Inaba). At some level, I couldn't fault him for thinking 'Good grief, can't these people just get over their issues and take things more in stride like I do? Do they have to make such a big deal about everything?'.

I think that Taichi might be getting weary of playing counselor to his friends, and maybe feels like it's time for him to start caring about his own needs and wants for a change.

But this is all just an idea.

I do think that Taichi is a genuinely and sincerely nice guy, but there are times when the niceness seems a bit forced to me - Based more on a sense of duty or obligation than on a more natural outpouring of his true personality. The way he tried to quickly resolve the issues of his three female friends had a slight element of fakery to it to me. I do think he genuinely wanted to help them, but I also get the impression that part of Taichi is grappling with impatience with his friends (which is partly why he aimed for quick and simple solutions).