View Single Post
Old 2013-03-26, 21:49   Link #117
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
If America can make one Avatar a year, Japan can make tens
If Japan made ten Avatars a year, I'd be watching a lot more anime...

I consider anime a type of cartoon that is flavored by Japanese culture. There's more variety in anime than American cartoons (not saying there's a ton of variety for either), and I think there's more flexibility in subject content in anime than typical American cartoons. I love both, though.

American cartoons are generally better for comedy, in my opinion, though the inability for a series to stop once it has reached past its prime is a bad problem (ie Family Guy, which was hilarious early on and is now just awful, or The Simpsons). I also tend to enjoy American superhero cartoons like 90's Batman + Spiderman, or Justice League better than any action anime, but those superhero shows are few and far between. Of course, there are exceptions, too, DBZ can equal or surpass any superhero show.

Anime is great for stuff you just can't find in American animation, though. The epic journey, the mech adventure, the space opera. Surreal, adult oriented fantasy, sci-fi, etc, etc. I think if American cartoons had the same type of variety you see in anime I probably wouldn't watch as much anime. I loved Avatar and really wish it had set more of a trend in the industry, but not much seemed to change in its wake despite its popularity.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote