View Single Post
Old 2012-09-26, 17:39   Link #766
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From what I am getting, the major objection that doesn't have to do with rights is to the welfare programs. The arguement remains the same as it was in the 1980 Republican platform, just that they seem to be even more fed up with the results of what I suppose is an extention of the Carter era programs (in style). The generational welfare system. Welfare for illegals. Welfare causing dependancy on the Government for more welfare due to the system not really being set to get people off welfare (I've encountered this with a friend who gets social security, but if he makes more than a certain amount, he loses it. There is no insentive to get off SS if he'd make less working a part-time job after all the taxes (sales tax is getting huge in California) and expenses to get to work (unless the tax breaks are suppose to make up for that if one can file a tax return and get back maybe a thousand or so dollars even if they didn't pay that much in income taxes because they are under the minimums). So he gets SS and works eBay and trades as much as possible to get enough for food and rent with some disposable income left. This is for someone without a high school education (I don't like to ask personal question, I just get what I get told over time).

The Republic or Republican leaning people I know get bent all out of shape about welfare programs because of things like that.

They are worried about social issues in the "we like things as they are now...why change it?" tune.

They seem very worried that the Democrats (or as they tend to call them, the Social Democrats) are going to start dismantling the Constitution. The 2012 Republican Platform even has a full on section about the Bill of Rights.

They believe that American should be on top and stay on top of the international pecking order. The difference of opinion between them seems to be in foreign policy. Most I talk to are of the isolationist type that want to end globalization, bring back out forces to US soil, and basically let the world solve its own regional problems without us getting involved anymore. While they might respect Israel, they see them as being able to handle the local Arabs on their own without us.

These tend to be Vietnam veterans or those of similar age or children of same. (mostly male, but some female).

That or the "Big Stick" policy variant. Leave us alone and we will be generally quiet. Get on our nerves and we send in a Task Group to ease our nerves. Blow up our people or stuff, we send in the Marines and the Army. Touch our soil with threat of invasion...your cities will be glassed. We keep the biggest sticks for those that do us harm. Otherwise, Gunboat Diplomacy.