View Single Post
Old 2010-06-11, 06:55   Link #79
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Exclamation It's about to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Meh, methinks the English become "British" only when it suits them. In any case, it's not as though there's much choice: Scotland or Wales are not in the final 32.
Then I guess when we compete during the Olympics or other international athletic events, we become British just cause it "suits us"
Naturally Scotland aren't in this to support their own first as England would, but since it's on an international level based on the UK's #1 sport, I'm fairly sure the entire island will be watching how England play, esp against US.
*high fives* And Vinderloo!
WE'RE EN-G-LAAAAAAND!
We're gonna score one more than you~

Ah, the high school memories that come with that *sighs*
- Three Lions on a Shirt is also nice in a warm, fuzzy way
(Holy crap that was World Cup 1996)
Time flies so fast...
I wonder what England's theme tune is this year, Yoko can you shed light on it?
*hums "na-na-naaaa~, na-na-naaa~" to herself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Let's meet again in the quarters or semis - for another penalty shootout ^_^
Just have to make sure it doesn't get that far, thank you very much
History of England vs Germany games
-We still got one up on you given the bigger picture, however seeing what happened at UEFA this year, should be meet, revenge will need to be extracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
You're telling me, I'm here in London and I'll be everyone's enemy here, so I kinda feel ya there
You're in my homecity?
Mystie-->
Quote:
But it's on Saturday (Sunday for you, I guess) so it's a good time to spend an all-nighter for the sake of the first game your team is playing. I probably wouldn't do it since I'm not so hardcore about it iibh, but if I was and I felt it was worth the note, I'd totally spend it out.
Even if I tried to stay up, as sleep deprived as I've been for weeks (if not months), I'll pass out.
2.30am is just not feasible, so sadly I will miss out on most of the major matches this time around. It's only 4 years until the next one, I guess. :\
Quote:
Can't say I'm homesick for the US, but if it was Italy playing, I know I would, because if they ever played the UK, again I'd be the center of ostricism You're lucky you're in a place that's relatively neutral to either side that's playing at the moment (lucky to be in Japan at all O.O). Just grab a bunch of friends, get them to make flags and banners and camp outside a random pub for the night and you'll probably be able to rally a few people to your cause
Around a pub at 2.30am? Not likely
It's not as easy as it is in London to just walk around the corner and join any group of fans in their joy or sadness. For the few friends I have here, they aren't interested in football, so the atmosphere, magic, buzz and hype is lost for 2010 I guess.
It’s just not the same, and they’re calling it ‘soccer’ for crying out loud ><;;;;
Tis tres bizarre…

There's a pang within me that'll remain for the month, most of the cheering is also done at home and I live on my own here, so I guess I'll say 'enjoy the magic of the world cup that touches London for a month' on my behalf

I am watchin NHK right now, they had some fun Japanese "roolingans" around the country each supporting their country of their choice as well as a 'top ten' best player that they like (seems to be Agentina's Messi)
It begins in 10mins, so checking out the opening at least, but for the US vs England match, I'll just have to wake up on Sunday hopefully to some good news. *fingers crossed*

Watching the NHK fan segment has made me even more homesick, lol.
I've not watched football seriously since living here (18 months) as their love is baseball to be honest. But seeing some of the mad skillz dribbles of those top 10 players, (footy sure has gotten even more intense in the last two years, lol), the long ass distance goals, the mad crazy angles that the ball gets in the net.
(and my most fav part)
The reactions of the strikers after they've scored a goal.
The rush, the adrenalin, the energy...
Nothing quite like it

The girl may be taken out of the country of football
But the essence of football cannot be taken out of the girl

It's about to start, look forward to the opening ceremony

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-06-11 at 07:08.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote