View Single Post
Old 2010-10-06, 18:37   Link #9
GreatTeacherKen

It doesn't happen often, but this is one of those cases where I'd say the sequel/derivative work is better than the original in virtually every way. I found the jokes more consistently funny and the cast's personalities felt more well-rounded than they were in the first season.

Sawako, in particular, is the biggest improvement in characterization. I thought she was a one joke character in the 1st season since they way over-emphasized her love of dressing up the HTT girls. Having her become the homeroom teacher seems to have improved her character; she became more of a quirky yet responsible mentor to the girls than a useless freeloader.

Indeed, the 2nd season in general seemed more reflective and a lot more slice-of-life-ish than the first, especially the episodes focusing on Azunyan. The seniors' impending graduation no doubt influenced this subtle shift in tone. I think this is a change for the better since this increase in contemplation made me feel for the characters more; the happy moments the girls shared became more poignant when contrasted with the bittersweet fact that the seniors will have to separate from Azunyan. Yet despite this bittersweet truth, I felt a life-affirming element to the show's ending with the seniors dedicated Tenshi ni Fureta to Azunyan; despite their separation they treasured those moments they shared and the friendship will survive the distance and as episode 26 strongly implies, the light music club will live on as well. It kind of reminded me of Manabi Straight's ending which gave off a similar feeling.

Some jokes in the series didn't work for me, but ultimately this season was a pleasant surprise and I hope the upcoming movie will be good as well.

9/10