View Single Post
Old 2011-02-03, 21:32   Link #287
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am of the camp that Urobuchi is much more cryptic and thorough than that of Tsuzuki, so I would not take light of what Mentar has suggested. Given the heavy literary onslaught augmenting the themes of well intended disasters in the last several episodes (Goethe Faust, John Gabriel Borkman), I can only say that the playwright has left sufficient room to claim the death of yet another Greek hero.

I do not think however that Madoka is to be Urobuchi Gen's Candide. The girl realizes painfully that this is not the best of possible worlds. On that part at least, this is to be no cynical satire.

Speaking of the subject of Madoka, based on what has transpired within the course of the past two episodes, Madoka seems to be pushed on a direction where she will wish, metaphorically, for the weight of the world to fall upon
her shoulders. In episode 4, she has acted with blatant disregard for her safety and despite a complete dread over witches and being a magical girl, to preserve the life of others, and only to come within a hair's breath of consigning an agreement with Kyubey.

Kaijo's counterpoint rests on the assumptions that somehow Homura has some sense, if not knowledge of Madoka taking action against the established system and on that Homura would find sufficient merits with the establishment to support the continued existence of this arrangement. However, we know not if Homura deems the 'potential' efforts by Madoka to destroy this system as ultimately successful or not, nor do we even know of past exploits of Homura, so we cannot discount that Homura is acting out of having foresight of what will befall Madoka. Whatever the circumstances may have been or may be today, Madoka is incredibly significant to Homura.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote