Thread: Licensed Sengoku Collection
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-02, 13:00   Link #238
Midonin
Last Engage

Sengoku (Present) 18
Dear Mr. Director,

Of all the shows I'm watching this season, Sengoku Collection is once again the only one airing on Thursday afternoon, so I was counting on it to make an impact. A good director understands a lot about setting the mood and tone of a story, and since every week is self-contained, SenColle's decision to change the style of its background art completely, into something like a Van Gogh painting, was absoloutely the right decision. Yoshitsugu Ootani, in real life, was a leper and a valued friend, who met with a tragic ending. Even when turned into a girl and sent to the modern day, that holds.

This episode rested heavily on my shoulders. It was a story about good luck and long distance friendship, but the tone was depressing and the end was bittersweet at best. I actually felt like crying when the episode was over. There are many high profile shows that claim to bring the drama - Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari stand out - but SenColle works on an anthology format, so it has 21 minutes at best to tell a story. And wow, did it use every one of those 21 allotted minutes perfectly. And it reveals more about the world, too. Up until now, I assumed that all the stories were taking place in a modern Japanese city. If Yoshitsugu's ticket was paid in Euros (and she needed a plane ticket), she must have landed in Europe, with an Angel in America. Not that that will stop Nobunaga from finding her, but I think, just like Ryuubi the week before, she'll want to stay here. For sentimental reasons.

Next week is a major event, with the debut of Mitsuhide, but I want to dwell on this episode a little longer. I'm the kind of person who doesn't comment much on drama, and says that there isn't much to say about it. But look at the paragraphs I wrote about this week. I'm not sure if it was drama, or I appreciate it because it was art, but I have a feeling this gem of an episode will be overlooked by the general anime-watching populace. This is the power of short-form storytelling.

Sincerely,
Midonin

Believe in random good luck
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote