View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 07:44   Link #142
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Makishima Acting Out Of Character
I have made the observation that different people have different gripes about him. Some find that his combat skills are very implausible. Others find that him getting all giddy when he gains the upper hand is out of character. Yet even others found it rather strange that he didn't "sense Akane's presence".

This is, of course, the inherent problem with a character who is inherently mysterious: People start to form images in their mind of "what he's supposed to be like" based on things they feel are true or think they have seen, when in fact, the author has something completely different in mind. This is not breaking character, this is just a character that turns out different from what you'd expect. If you feel like the author is obligated to live up to each and every one of your expectations, well that's up to you really.

Incidentally, my personal opinion is that his anticlimactic defeat is exactly what he deserved. Which leads me to:
Personally I feel that there has been plenty of stuff shown about Makishima's inclinations to not make the encounter he had with Kougami seem out of character. It only seems weird if you're heavily set on believing that Makishima was totally emotionally detached from everything he's done up until now. That's certainly not something I thought, since most motivation inclinations are mortivated by visceral rather than intellectual reasons, but it's one among several interpretations of Makishima. One that isn't necessarily the best interpretation now that we've seen him get to play with someone who *wasn't* boring.