View Single Post
Old 2006-07-06, 15:12   Link #17
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Animation Quality: 10 - It was alive in the animation. The animation wasn't perfect always but it never suffered any in quality. There was always a quality production put out, an inspiration to all anime.

Voice Actors: 10 - Kyon's VA was just utterly nailed through the whole thing and it actually was acting. One of the most interesting acting jobs in all of anime and Aya Hirano just as good if not better. Yuki's VA though understated did an awesome job of conveying her terseness without sound artificial. Her words just flow. Itsuki's did a great job of taking dry exposition and making it compelling. Mikuru's VA while not terribly layered, still showed a fun and compelling range.

Script: 10 - Perfect. Granted from translation but I could not imaging a better script. A post-modern, layered, literary tale which just blows my mind, highly developed characters and perfect pacing in aired order especially. My only complaint is it's hard to reconcile that space between episode 6 and 7 but I suspect that a followup OAV or series would fill in that gap.

Adaptation from Novels: 10 - The best novel adaptation I have ever seen in my entire life. Movie, play, tv show or anything. Books always tend to get the screwed in translation. This work if not pays tribute to it in every possible way while only literally being the book at certain points, exists as a declaration of keep the original author involved

Editing: 10 - Hilarious editting particularly obvious in episode 9, that first episode and others. But also editted to dramatic effect too. I don't know put this show together but they should get a medal.

Also the series has so much stuff hidden in it, that I'm still laying up late at night mentally deconstructing its composition.
So far as individual episodes

1 - Thoroughly enjoyable. It's nice looking back especially but it's a perfect in-media-res presentation of the show where you're playing catch up. Fun parody too.
2 - Great intro to the show, hilarious sequences, unsettling composition. So disorienting and it sets the mood for the rest of the show so very well.
3 - Kinda quiet episode, fun the first time and you gotta wonder how Haruhi can kick like that X_X. But it's all about setting up the clues for the end of the episode and episode 5. It also has the best line "I'm begging you. Establish context before speaking."
4 - A nice, utterly disorienting diversion but still fun. Probably the hardest episode to reconcile until the end where Haruhi smiles.
5 - Info dump of epic proportions and the library trip is classic. So funny. This is the episode that puts all the pieces together.
6 - A probably the most unnecessary episode but it still has enough cute little character moments and developments.
7 - Big mind-screw ever. But again, it's tough for me to reconcile how Kyon expresses his feelings on Yuki.
8 - Much more interesting than 6 and also more perplexing. I need to rewatch it a couple more times.
9 - Finally a respite. A chance to just sit back and let this series creep you out in quiet.
10 - @_@ Epic! An awesome melding of action, themes and characterization to just reveal not only details about Kyon but about the what's been going on behind the scenes.
11 - Plain old fun with plenty of Yuki development.
12 - My favorite episode if only for the play's inclusion. Perfect choice. Perfect music. Perfect character moments and till I saw 14, I figured the perfect culmination to this show.
13 - A quiet but philosophically dense episode which still has me pulling it apart.
14 - The perfect ending to the perfect show, Kyon is revealed as is Haruhi.

I could not imagine a better show. This is my gold standard for all anime from now on. Sure there'll be fun ones or good looking ones or philosophical ones but can any of them bring all those elements together in such a perfect way like this one did? It will be a challenge to see and I doubt any show will ever surplant in till there's a 2nd season of this show.

Last edited by Major Kerina; 2006-07-07 at 14:51.